We welcome new members with open arms. From the expert to the novice. From the experienced to the beginner. From the person who wants to pursue a career in theatre to the person who considers theatre a fun hobby. Whatever your level is, the VHS Players will help you grow and become more confident both on stage and off. The VHS Players is open to everyone and is a place where you can be yourself, feel welcomed, and become part of the family. Join us to make amazing memories that last a lifetime. We strongly encourage you to explore our website and visit one of our meetings.
VHS Players Constitution and Bylaws
What is the difference between VHS Players and Troupe 1003?
Troupe 1003 is a subset of the VHS Players. It is the student honor society, a separate student organization, and membership is earned. Any student may be a member of VHS Players, but only students who have been officially inducted and registered with the EdTA national office are members of the VHS Players and Troupe 1003.
How do students qualify for membership into Troupe 1003?
Students qualify by earning points for their work in the theatre arts. ITS provides a point system guide for your use. The points listed are the suggested maximum for excellent work. 1 point is equal to 10 hours of excellent work. To be eligible for membership in the troupe, a student must obtain a minimum of 10 points. These points must be earned in a minimum of two productions and must be from two different production areas (i.e., acting and stage management).
What is the Thespian Point Tracker?
The thespian point tracker is the form you will fill out online when you participate in VHS Players productions. Mrs. LeBeau takes the data that you send, and adds it to your Thespian Point Record. If at anytime you would like to see your record, make arrangements with Mrs. LeBeau. The Thespian Point Tracker has its own tab at the top of this page. If you need assistance with the point tracker, the club secretary or Mrs. LeBeau can help you.
What do Thespians receive as inducted members of ITS?
• A membership certificate
• A personalized membership card
• apply for scholarships and grants, including the Doug Finney Festival Grants, a need-based grant to help Thespians attend Festival Events Showcase at Festival (per chapter policy)
• serve as an International Thespian Officer
• submit their original plays to the Thespian Playworks program
• receive Thespian graduation and honor items (per troupe policy)
• A one-year (nine issues, September through May) subscription to Dramatics magazine (a $27 cover value)
• The ability to renew the subscription at a special member rate ($15 as of 4/1/11)
Do students need to renew their memberships every year?
For Troupe 1003, No. Payment of the one-time induction fee entitles the student to a lifetime membership, the active benefits of which last through high school graduation. Upon graduation from high school, Thespians become Thespian alumni.
For VHS Players, Yes. Membership to the club is annual and you must rejoin each school year.
What’s the difference between Thespian honor rank and ITS scholar distinction?
High school students earn Thespian honor ranks for reaching Thespian point awards over and above the ten points required for induction (60, 120, and 180). Thespian points are awarded based on the quality and quantity of each student’s work in theatre arts. Scholar distinction is granted to a Thespian or Junior Thespian for academic achievement in overall coursework. Thespian honor ranks are only available to high school Thespians.
How does a student earn the scholar distinction?
Troupe directors may award the scholar distinction if a student:
1. Has been inducted officially into ITS through the EdTA home office
2. Is currently enrolled in the school and a member-in-good-standing of the school’s ITS troupe
3. Has earned a minimum, cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or its local equivalent for all academic coursework as determined upon completion of their 10th grade (Thespian), or any official grading period thereafter. Students with a 3.5 GPA become Vice President’s List Scholars, and students with a 4.0 GPA are awarded the President’s List Scholar distinction.
4. Has fulfilled any additional local criteria required by their troupe